"Bedlah, Baubles and Beads" by Dawn Devine and Barry Brown is a book about designing and crafting the elaborate bra and belt sets worn by contemporary belly dancers. Also known as "dance oriental" and "raks sharki," belly dancing has numerous sub-styles that are defined not only by their movement vocabulary, but also by their distinctive costuming.
This books topics includes:
* Overview of history of belly dance costume in the US since the 1890's
* Design portfolio of today's most common styles.
* An introduction to the principles and elements of design and how to use them to create the best costume for your figure,dance technique and performance style.
* Directions for making high-quality bedlah, from concept to finished costume.
* Detailed directions for creating covered bras and belt bases that fit perfectly, are sturdy and prepared for further decoration.
* Instructions for doing surface beading and making beaded fringe including supplies list and techniques for developing design motifs and patterns.
* Step-by-step illustrations of beading techniques, including back stitch, couching, tambour beading, scatter beading, and more.* A catalog of costume parts and pieces to pair with your handcrafted bedlah sets to create a complete ensemble.
138 pages*Please note: This item cannot be returned after purchase.